All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Command Aura
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:59 am 

From the playing I've done, trying to organize an efficient and scary panzer attack is not terribly easy. The main problem is linking everything together, which is often overly time consuming. Instead I've just massed Armadillo's and dropped them with Y and created a long armor column. To solve this, perhaps give some units a command aura.

The Goliath is great for breaking encampments. Give it a large radius which you can activate and it'll summon all nearby units to follow along and as it trundles along it picks up more buddies. Or make it so a unit becomes a flag bearer and the same effect applies. Either way, linking a large armor column together is such a hassle.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Command Aura
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:00 am 

So...you want mass selection?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:06 am 

Well it seems like the game was intended to not have mass selection. But this just allows you to set a unit off, it goes running and yelling "Charge" and anything nearby follows along minus turrets. And since its driving around on its own it might pick up some guys you want to keep behind and thus adding back to the fog of war.

It's a more passive form of mass selection.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:12 am 

Woden wrote:
Well it seems like the game was intended to not have mass selection. But this just allows you to set a unit off, it goes running and yelling "Charge" and anything nearby follows along minus turrets. And since its driving around on its own it might pick up some guys you want to keep behind and thus adding back to the fog of war.

It's a more passive form of mass selection.

Right...i suggested mass selection a long time back and James said that they tested it and it was game breaking...i would think it would be the same for this but who know...maybe this might work. :? Its a good idea tho :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:21 am 
Alpha Hero + Beta Lord + Diamond VIP

This would kinda ruin the feel of the game. It may be different in a way, but it's still mass selection. Not only does it specifically say in the READ ME Before Posting In This Forum thread that mass selection won't be added, it's also something that I personally don't support.

じしf_, )ノ

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:47 pm 

Then what would be a suggestion for improving a player's ability to link units together into a cohesive force. Airmech seems to be in a weird space between tower defense and RTS, and while I agree you don't necessarily need selecting via drawing boxes, it's also not the best to try and coordinate an armor advance when they have different speeds. Why would my Jackals who are faster go running blindly into turrets when there's a tank right next to them. The idea of a command field is just to facilitate the action so that pilots can spend more time crisis managing around the map and fighting each other rather than having:

YOU! Soldier A, Attack!
YOU! Soldier B, Attack!
YOU Soldier C, Attack!
YOU Soldier D, Attack!
YOU Soldier.... cough... hacking cough...

And as I mentioned, if you make it so that a select few units have like maybe the level 7 required it makes it more of a reward for leveling up and saving money and choosing that unit to bring to battle. Also, if its attached to the unit it can accidentally grab other nearby units that should be defending.

Lastly, in regards to the forum rules:

- ability to assign orders from the air
- mass order a bunch of units to do something at once
- units having different population cap numbers (mine is 1 unit, heavy tank is 1 unit)
- carrying more than 3 units (instant capture outposts is bad)
- player-built air units
- built units deploying on their own (except creeps)

You're ordering 1 unit to activate an ability and then it motors around asking for help. It's not quite a mass order to units all at once.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:11 pm 
Beta Lord

Part of the challenge of the game is moving your army force with the current control scheme.

Having a follower aura can create nasty unit snowballs or make the game too easy/different.

Also, the command would very much be mass move if the units are clumped.

Mass moves also dont give enemy time to prepare their units in strategic positions fast enough (such as placing mines or turrets or etc.)

This may be off-topic, but I think this thread gave me an idea. Airmech taunt ability? To lure a unit out of defense to attack your base? :0

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:15 pm 
Alpha Hero + Beta Lord + Diamond VIP

It's extremely easy to get a very large attack. Making it so that you no longer have to directly control your units is just not good for gameplay.

じしf_, )ノ

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:23 pm 
Beta Lord

Yeah, sorry. When I said challenge I just meant gameplay in general.

It's easy to get a large attack going, but still takes time, which gives the enemy enough time to respond and keeps you equally occupied so that you cant run off to multitask.

As an effect, the gameplay strategies become more interesting, and some more challenging.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:26 pm 
Carbon Dev

Woden wrote:
The idea of a command field is just to facilitate the action so that pilots can spend more time crisis managing around the map and fighting each other rather than having:

YOU! Soldier A, Attack!
YOU! Soldier B, Attack!
YOU Soldier C, Attack!
YOU Soldier D, Attack!
YOU Soldier.... cough... hacking cough...

And you know what, the idea of remote command and control seemed like a great idea to many of the factions pre-war, right up until the point their codes were hacked through and units turned against them in a fraction of a millisecond.

The onboard quantum crypto descramblers of even the cheapest AirMech will make quick work of any wireless command and control system you can concoct. Those who have tried always end up paying dearly on the battlefield.

Time and war have shown that an exchanged command pellet, physically exchanged through contact, is the only reliable way to get your 'just in time nano fabricated death machines' pointed and going in the right direction.

And even with the pellet being clad in a tungsten alloy Faraday cage, Airmechs like the saucer can override and repurpose the onboard execution systems given enough time and proximity.

So, no, we'll be sticking with the combat protocol specifications as they stand, to keep our Goliaths and defenses from forgetting who their masters are.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next